Social Worker Resume and Cover Letter Sample
Do you need to write a cover letter or a resume for a social worker position? Review information on what to include in your letter, along with an example of a cover letter you can edit to fit your employment history and skills.
What to Include in Your Cover Letter
Expanding on previous work experiences in your cover letter is a great way to provide a narrative on how you would be an asset to the job and organization.
Make sure also to include certifications you've received or related workshops you've attended.
Be sure to highlight your most relevant experience and skills. That way the employer can see at a glance why you are a good match for the position.
The following is a sample cover letter, along with a resume, to use when applying for a job as a social worker. Remember to adjust the details to fit your situation and the position you are applying for.
Social Worker Cover Letter Example
City, State, Zip Code
Dear Mr./Ms. Last Name,
Please accept my enthusiastic application for the school social worker position at XYZ High School, listed on Mondyrt. I have extensive experience working with diverse populations of adolescents, both inside and outside of the classroom, and I believe I would be an ideal fit for your innovative school.
My two social work internships have given me extensive and varied experiences as a social worker in an educational setting.
At XYZ Charter High School, I provided both individual and group psychotherapy to a socioeconomically diverse population of teenagers. At my internship at XYZ Elementary School, I led group play therapy activities for students with a variety of behavioral disorders. My experience in individual and group therapy will allow me to successfully act as both an individual and group counselor at XYZ High School.
You state that you want a social worker who will be able to serve as a leader for your summer outdoor program. As a former camp counselor with extensive experience leading hiking, biking, and camping trips, I know I would be an ideal leader in your program. Having served as a leader for a counselor-in-training program, I know what kinds of outdoor activities help build both self-confidence and teamwork in students.
I am confident that my experience and skills will make me a valuable member of the XYZ High School social work team.
I have enclosed my resume and will call within the week to see if we might arrange a time to speak together. Thank you so much for your time and consideration.
Your City, State, Zip Code
Your Phone Number
Social Worker Resume Example
123 Main Street
Oakland, CA, 94610
Master of Social Work
Expected May 20XX
Bachelor of Arts
Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW)
Expected June 20XX
SOCIAL WORK EXPERIENCE
Social Work Intern
XYZ Charter High School
- Provide individual assessment, treatment planning, and psychotherapy services to diverse teenage population diagnosed with learning disabilities and behavioral disorders
- Co-lead after-school peer mentoring program for teen girls to encourage self esteem and teamwork among classmates
- Collaborate with team of social workers, psychiatrists, and psychologists to develop individualized treatment plans for students
Social Work Intern
XYZ Elementary School
September 20XX-June 20XX
- Ran afterschool activity program for small groups of youth ages 5 - 10 diagnosed with attention disorders, anxiety, and depression
- Developed and implemented various forms of games and play to develop participants’ self-confidence and social skills
- Participated in meetings between parents, faculty, psychiatrists, and social workers to develop individualized academic plans for students
Assistant Director, Special Education Program
XYZ High School
August 20XX-July 20XX
- Managed and oversaw all quizzes and exams for extended-time students
- Co-taught phonics lessons with dyslexic students; reading and writing assignments led students to improve an average of 1.5 reading levels per academic year
- Participated in meetings between the special education director, students, family, social workers, and faculty to develop individualized IEPs and 504s for students with learning disabilities and behavioral disorders
Director, Counselor-in-Training Program
XYZ Summer Camp
- In charge of preparing twelve youth 14-16 to become responsible summer camp counselors
- Developed daily classes that implemented lecture, group activities, and class discussion to develop youths’ sense of responsibility and leadership
- Led youth in hiking, biking, and other outdoor activities to build teamwork and confidence
National Association of Social Workers
Conversational in Spanish (reading, writing, and speaking)
Other Skills and Interests
CPR, AED, & First Aid Certification (June 20XX)
Hiking, rock climbing, canoeing
Emailing Your Cover Letter and Resume
When applying for jobs using email, include your name and the job title in the subject line. Here's an example of a subject line to use when sending your cover letter by email:
Subject: School Social Worker Position - Your Name