Social Worker Resume Example and Writing Tips
The demand for social workers is growing. The Bureau of Labor Statistics estimates that the profession will grow 16 percent between 2016 and 2026 – much faster than the average occupation. But to get hired for a social worker job, you need to be able to show employers that you have the education, skills, experience and in some cases, certification required.
To work as a clinical social worker, for example, you’ll need a master’s degree, two years’ experience in a clinical setting, and state licensure. But regardless of what kind of social worker job you’re looking for, you’ll need to prepare a resume that shows you meet the employers’ requirements.
Resume Tips for Social Workers
- Match your qualifications to the job description in the ad. Typically, the employer will tell you what kinds of skills, certification, and experience they’re looking for in a successful applicant. Scan the job listing for keywords that you can use your in resume and cover letter. This will help you get your application past screening software and into the inbox of a real, live person who can call you for an interview.
- Put your most important qualifications and achievements first. Recruiters and hiring managers spend seconds scanning one resume before moving on to the next. To avoid getting cut in the first round, make sure your accomplishments stand out. Put your most impressive qualities and skills right up front. Consider using a resume profile to highlight the information you most want the employer to see.
- Have a references handy. Although you shouldn’t provide a list of references with your resume unless asked, you should have your references ready when you apply. That way, you’ll be able to respond quickly if the hiring manager calls to arrange a phone screen or in-person interview. And, needless to say, you should ask your references’ permission before you send their information on to a prospective employer.
- Customize your resume for every job opening. You may be applying for many similar jobs, but it’s worth taking the time to personalize your resume and cover letter before applying. Doing so will help ensure that your application is tailored for each job, and increase the chances that you’ll get a call for an interview.
- Review examples of resumes for social workers. Pay close attention to the listed examples of education, work experience, professional affiliations, skills, and interests.
Social Worker Resume Example
This is an example of a resume for a social worker position. Download the social worker resume template (compatible with Google Docs and Word Online) or see below for more examples.
Social Worker Resume Example (Text Version)
999 Main Street, Oakland, CA 10000
Licensed clinical social worker with an educational background seeks opportunity to work with at-risk or special needs students.
- Conversational in written and spoken Spanish.
- CPR, AED, and First Aid certifications.
- National Association of Social Workers member.
- Extensive experience working with at-risk students, special needs students, as well as their parents or care providers.
XYZ CHARTER SCHOOL, Oakland, Calif.
Assistant Special Education Director, September 2018-Present
Coordinate with special education director, students, family, social workers, and faculty to develop IEPs and 504s for students with learning disabilities and behavioral disorders.
- Manage and oversee all quizzes and exams for extended-time students.
- Championed introduction of new adaptive learning technologies to better serve the individual needs of students.
XYZ CHARTER SCHOOL, Oakland, Calif.
Social Worker Intern, September 2016-June 2018
Provided individual assessments, treatment plans, and psychotherapy services to diverse teenage population diagnosed with learning disabilities and behavioral disorders.
- Helped improve educational and behavioral results for more than 50 students over the course of two years.
- Redesigned student evaluation forms for the school; the forms are now used for all current and incoming students.
Bachelor of Arts in Psychology (2016); GPA 3.9
Bay University, Oakland, CA
Dean’s List; Graduated Summa cum Laude
More Examples: Review professionally written resume examples with templates you can download.