Special Education Teacher Resume Example
When applying for a job as a special education teacher, emphasize your education and certifications in your resume as well as all previous classroom experience. The following tips, along with the sample resume included below, can help.
Resume Summary - Consider including a summary at the top of your resume. This is a great way to include a brief statement of your teaching philosophy, and emphasize what makes you a great special education teacher.
Highlight your education and credentials - Teaching jobs typically require specific degrees and certifications, so be sure to highlight your education. Include an “Education” resume section towards the top of your document, so it is one of the first things an employer sees.
Include all teaching experiences - It is essential to especially highlight your experience working in special education settings. If you have limited teaching experience, you can also include internships, volunteer work, and co-curricular activities that are relevant to teaching.
Emphasize your accomplishments - Rather than simply state your duties under each work experience, also include specific accomplishments or successes. You might mention that you helped improve student test scores, or include information or quotes from your supervisors' evaluations of your classes. When possible, include data to show your successes.
Tailor your resume to fit the job and school - Individualize each resume to fit the specific job, as well as the school. Include keywords from the job listing in your resume (you might include these words in your resume summary or job descriptions). If the job requires particular skills, be sure to highlight these in your resume.
Example Resume (Text Version)
123 East St.
New London, CT 06320
Experienced, award-winning teacher with fifteen years of experience working with special education students. History of improving test scores in reading and math. Run well-organized classrooms focused on both classroom success and achieving individualized learning goals.
Master of Education (20XX)
Concentration in Special Education
XYZ University, Hartford, CT
Bachelor of Arts (20XX)
ABC College, Albany, NY
Connecticut Teaching Certification – Special Education Credential
Special Education Teacher
ABC Charter Elementary School
September 20XX - Present
- Develop and implement lesson plans for a class of fifth-grade students with high-functioning autism, speech impairment, dyslexia, and other learning disabilities
- Differentiate activities and goals to meet each student’s individual needs and abilities
- Write and administer tests and evaluations adapted to the abilities of each student
- Achieved an average of 25% improvement on reading and math exams
- Engage in regular dialogue with parents, administrators, and various service providers to ensure student success inside and outside the classroom
Special Education Intern
A+ Learning Center
September 20XX – August 20XX
- Adapted middle school English and History curriculum materials to suit students with high-functioning autism, speech impairments, and various learning disabilities
- Ran all pull-out testing for students with special needs
- Ran seminar for teachers throughout the greater Hartford area on how to best implement these tailored curricula in their classrooms
XYZ Middle School
November 20XX – July 20XX
- Provided instruction in both special and general education for students ranging from fifth through eighth grade
- Awarded substitute-of-the-year for the ability to maintain a positive learning environment through behavioral management strategies
- Fluent in English and Spanish