Summer Caterer Resume Example and Writing Tips
Catering companies often hire seasonal employees for busy seasons, such as the summer (or wedding season) and December, when many people host holiday parties. For college students, who have breaks at precisely these times of year, that makes temporary employment at these businesses ideal.
Get more advice on how to find seasonal work. If you want to apply for a seasonal role at a caterers, you'll need to make sure your resume is designed to appeal to employers.
What to Emphasize in Your Resume
If you're applying for a position as a temporary, short-term employee of a catering company, you'll want to highlight certain skills and qualities that employers will be looking for in candidates.
Food services experience and skills: First and foremost, hiring managers will aim to staff up with people familiar with working in food service. If you have experience working as a waiter, in the kitchen of a restaurant, or as a cashier at a cafe, make sure to list those positions. In addition, take a look at a list of the skills desired in food service employees, and highlight any that you have on your resume. You can do this either in the skills section of your resume, or in your description of various roles you've held in the past.
Responsibility: Employers are looking to hire people who will show up on time, professionally dressed, and prepared to work. Catering isn't easy — you may have to lift and move heavy items, and work long hours. In your resume, look for ways to highlight that you're dependable.
Communication skills and hospitality experience: While it's possible that you'll work in the kitchen, many catering company employees interact with event attendees. That means it's essential for speak politely and professionally. If you have held customer-facing positions, whether in food services or other industries, mention it on your resume, and highlight any particularly successful interactions. If you worked in retail, for instance, and were named "Employee of the Month" be sure to mention it. Food services use similar customer service skills to retail.
Use Sample Resumes to Inspire Your Own
Reviewing an example of a catering resume can help you form and refine your own resume. The following is a catering resume from a college student; it includes previous work experience related to hospitality and communication. Note that this example includes detailed education information, such as the student's GPA and major and minor. Find out here if, and for how long, you should keep your GPA on your resume.
Summer Caterer Resume Example (Text Version)
125 East Street
Springfield, IL 62705
Bachelor of Arts, Springfield University, Springfield, IL, May 20XX
Minor: Environmental Studies
Overall GPA 3.6; Honors each semester
Study Abroad: Madrid, Spain - Spring 20XX
Springfield River High School, Springfield, IL, May 20XX
Dining Hall Assistant, Springfield University, Springfield, IL
- Perform preparatory work for Dining Hall chefs, including preparing fruits and vegetables, cleaning appliances, and organizing kitchen at the beginning and end of each day
- Interact with hundreds of customers daily, serving breakfast, lunch, and dinner
- Was awarded Employee of the Month twice for focus and attention to detail
Administrative Aide, Wilson Physical Therapy Group, Westway, IL
- Responsible for interacting with dozens of clients on the phone daily
- Managed clients’ appointments and doctors’ schedules using an online scheduling program
Waiter, Mabel’s Bar and Grille, Springfield, IL
Summer 20XX-Summer 20XX
- Took orders of up to one hundred customers daily
- Responsible for assisting customers on the phone, placing take-out orders and answering general questions
- Awarded Employee of the Month four times for positive attitude and attention to detail
- Member of Springfield River High School Culinary Club, Fall 20XX-Spring 20XX
- Lead alto saxophone player in Springfield River High School Band, Fall 20XX-Spring 20XX
More Resume Examples
Review more professionally written resume examples for jobs, internships, gigs, volunteering, and other positions.