Summer Job Cover Letter Examples
What to Include in a Cover Letter for a Summer Position
In many ways, applying for a summer job is the same as applying for any position—candidates need to show that they have the required skills. Your cover letter is often the best place to do so.
Summer jobs are a bit different from regular jobs since they often have
- Set end dates
- Take place over a busy, social season
- Don't offer vacations and in some cases, holidays
The hiring managers will have a few specific qualifications and character traits in mind as they review job applications. To help you land the interview, your cover letter will need to demonstrate the precise qualifications the hiring manager is seeking.
What to Include in a Summer Job Cover Letter
First, make sure you're familiar with the basics of writing a cover letter. If you’ve never sent one before and have no idea where to start, take a look at this cover letter guide, which provides step-by-step instructions on how to write one, formatting advice, and plenty of samples and examples to browse through.
Next, you'll want to target your cover letter for a summer job. Managers look for the ability to learn quickly. Since summer jobs only last for a few months, companies do not want to invest a lot of time (and money) in training. Hiring managers are looking for candidates who are quick to pick up tasks, have previous experience in relevant fields, and know how to ask smart questions when they're unsure.
As much as possible in your cover letter, emphasize your prior, relevant experience. Be direct. If you're applying for a job as a waitress, mention any other food service work, for instance, or experience working in any hospitality field.
Another quality that interviewers seek in candidates is responsibility. When the weather's nice outside, it can be tempting to play hooky. Summer workers are often scheduled to work on holiday weekends, which means working while others are on vacation. Companies want to hire people they can count on to show up on time for scheduled shifts. Think about ways you can show that you are a dedicated, responsible employee in your cover letter.
Summer Job Cover Letter Sample
This is a cover letter example for a summer job. Download the summer job cover letter template (compatible with Google Docs and Word Online) or see below for more examples.
Summer Job Cover Letter Sample (Text Version)
123 Main Street
Anytown, CA 12345
September 1, 2018
Director, Human Resources
123 Business Rd.
Business City, NY 54321
Dear Ms. Lee,
I am writing to apply for one of your summer waitstaff openings, which I found listed on your website. I have worked as both a server and a host in restaurants for the past four summers. During the summers of 2016 and 2017, I worked at The Pizza Den, a casual restaurant, and last summer I worked at Perseus, a fine dining establishment. As a result, I am confident I have the experience and skill to serve your customers in the manner they expect.
I am able to work evenings and weekends during the summer months. I am currently a student at Western State University; however, I'm not taking any classes this summer, so I have plenty of time to fill shifts as needed.
Please feel free to contact me by email (email@example.com) or cell phone (555-555-5555) if you have any questions.
More Summer Job Cover Letter Examples
The following summer job cover letter examples and cover letter templates can be used for summer job applications. Be sure to personalize your letters to reflect your experience and interests.
- Summer Cashier Cover Letter
- Camp Counselor Cover Letter Example
- Catering Job Cover Letter Example
- Golf Caddy Cover Letter Example
- Hotel Front Desk / Bellhop Cover Letter Example
- Lifeguard Cover Letter Example
- Sample Cover Letter - Summer Assistant Job
- Summer Nanny Cover Letter
- Summer Internship Cover Letter Example
- Summer Sales Associate Cover Letter
- Summer Tutor Cover Letter Example
- Summer Waiter Cover Letter Example
Cover Letter Templates
Use these templates to help keep your letter organized, whether you will send a hard, paper copy or email.
- Cover Letter Format: Need a refresher on what to include in your cover letter — and what to leave out? This paragraph-by-paragraph guide will help you organize your thoughts.
- Cover Letter Template: This generic template works for any job or career stage, and keeps you from going too long (or too short).
- Email Cover Letter Template: Odds are, you’ll send your cover letter via email. This template ensures that your information grabs the hiring manager’s attention right from the start.
- Microsoft Word Cover Letter Templates: These free cover letter templates for Microsoft Word will save you a step in your writing process and produce a perfectly formatted end-product.
Summer Job Resume Examples
Also review summer job resume examples, so that you can apply with a winning pair of job application materials. These samples will help you highlight your relevant experience, even if you are just starting out. Consider all of your related experience, including schoolwork, volunteering, school activities, and prior part-time jobs, but focus on the most relevant skills and accomplishments.
As a bonus, looking at these resume examples will help remind you of what belongs in a resume and what belongs in a cover letter — often a challenge, even for job seekers who’ve been in the working world for a long time.