Summer Job Resume Examples and Writing Tips
A summer job can be a great way to build valuable work experience while earning extra income. Whether it's flipping burgers or serving as a lifeguard at the local pool, seasonal gigs can be a great learning opportunity. And, the experience you gain during seasonal jobs will be immensely valuable when you apply to full-time positions.
Just because a summer job will only last for a few months, however, doesn't mean that there won't be competition to land a position. That's why it's important to have a resume that stands out. Read on for tips on where to find summer jobs and how to write an effective resume. Plus, see examples of summer job resumes, which you can use for inspiration while developing your own.
Tips for Finding a Summer Job
Competition for summer jobs can be fierce. High school students, college kids, recent graduates, and even older professionals often are competing for the same positions.
- Start Early: Many camps, summer programs, and community centers hire their summer staff as early as February or March, so reach out to your target employers early in the spring to make sure your resume is seen.
- Networking: Make sure everyone you know is aware you are looking for a job. You never know when a friend's uncle or someone's workplace may be hiring. They can refer you to jobs even before the position is posted and you can get your foot in the door early.
- Be Professional: Even though it may be a summer position, it's an important role for the business, and the employers want employees who will take it seriously. Submit a polished resume, dress appropriately for the interview, and be courteous and professional in your conversations and follow up.
Building a Resume For a Summer Job
A big part of getting hired is developing a strong resume. Often, your resume is the only thing an employer sees from you, so it's important for it to be polished and that it highlights your skills and achievements. When you're in school, you can use your relevant classes and coursework in your resume to show how you can do the job. For instance, if you had a class on communication, that might be helpful in a job as a camp counselor when you need to talk with a dozen children.
If you have any volunteer experience or were part of any clubs, they can also be valuable additions to highlight and set yourself apart from the competition.
As well, consider having a section in your resume devoted to experience that's highly relevant to the position you're seeking. For instance, if you are applying for a job as a waiter, you could have a section called "Food Service Experience" that highlights your volunteer work in a soup kitchen or a job as a waiter. That helps let potential employers know that you'll be a good match.
Always proofread your resume carefully before submitting it. You don't want a potential employer to be deterred from hiring you because of a small error. Look for ways to emphasize that you are responsible and pick up on new skills quickly. Employers will be eager to hire dependable workers who won't call in "sick" on sunny days or long weekends. Plus, since employees are only at seasonal jobs for a relatively short period, there isn't a lot of training time. Employers will give priority to people who are fast learners, even if they do not have relevant experience in the precise position.
Summer Job Resume Examples
Here are summer job resume examples you could use to apply for part-time and full-time summer jobs and internships. Use the samples to get ideas for your resume, then customize your resume, so it highlights the related experience, schoolwork, school activities, and volunteering specifically to the summer job you are interested in.
- Camp Counselor Resume Example
- Catering Job Resume Example
- Customer Service / Retail Resume Examples
- Golf Caddy Resume Example
- Hospitality Resume Examples
- Hotel Resume Example
- Internship Resume Examples
- Lifeguard Resume Example
- Nanny Resume Example
- Summer Camp Resume Example
- Summer Cashier Resume Example
- Summer Job Resume Example
- Summer Sales Associate
- Tutor Resume Example
- Waitress Resume Example
- Summer Waiter Resume Example