Summer Sales Associate Resume Example
When applying for a summer job, you may need to write a resume as part of the application process. If you're not sure what to include, review an example of a resume for a summer job in sales. Because the job seeker is a college student with limited employment history, she has listed a variety of job, volunteer, and extracurricular experience on her resume. You can use this sample as a template to help you write your own resume.
Tips for Writing a Summer Job Resume
- Include All Relevant Experience: If you have limited work history (especially if you are a student), you can include unpaid experiences on your resume. You can include internships, volunteer work, extracurricular activities, and leadership positions on sports teams. The trick is to explain how these experiences helped you develop skills or abilities that will be useful in the job for which you are applying. For instance, in the resume example below, the job seeker mentions how her work at an Open Pantry gave her experience working a cash register and interacting with the public.
- Consider a Section With Directly Related Experience: While you should include all relevant experience, if you have any experience directly related to the job you are applying for, consider listing it in a separate section towards the top of your resume. For example, if you’re applying for a job as a sales associate and have worked in sales in the past, include a section called “Sales Experience.” Then, include other experience in another section called “Other Experience” or “Related Experience.”
- Emphasize Your Dependability: One thing all summer employers are looking for is dependability. They want employees who won’t take lots of vacation days or come to work late. Try to emphasize your responsible nature in your resume. For example, if you received an award for perfect attendance in school or at a job, include this. You might even emphasize your dependability in a resume summary if you decide to include one. If you aren’t able to mention your dependability in your resume, consider emphasizing it in your cover letter. In the cover letter, include a specific example that demonstrates your reliability.
- Edit, Edit, Edit: You can apply to many summer jobs (especially summer sales or retail jobs) in person, which often means the only job application materials the employer will see will be your resume. Therefore, make sure your resume is clean and polished. Proofread your resume for spelling and grammar errors, and for formatting inconsistencies (for example, make sure all the bullet points are the same size, and that if you bold one job title, you bold them all). Consider asking a friend or career counselor to look over your resume as well. If you are a high school or college student, your school might have a career services office that you can use for free.
Summer Sales Associate Resume Example
This is an example of a resume for a summer sales associate position. Download the summer sales associate resume template (compatible with Google Docs and Word Online) or see below for more examples.
Summer Sales Associate Resume Example (Text Only)
111 Main Street, Hartford, CT 10003
- Strong customer service skills
- Experienced sales representative with track record of success
- Fluent in written and spoken Spanish
CUSTOMER SERVICE/SALES EXPERIENCE
ABC COMMUNITY COLLEGE, Stamford, CT
Administrative Assistant, Registrar’s Office, September 2017-Present
Aid students in person and via phone with questions regarding course registration
- Assist with all office administrative duties, including photocopying, mailing, and organizing the office and waiting spaces
- Nominated for Employee of the Year in 2017 due to exceptional performance
ABC COMMUNITY COLLEGE, Hartford, CT
Volunteer Member, Open Pantry Coalition, September 2017-Present
- Maintain pantry’s inventory of over 10,000 canned items
- Use Excel program to find and retrieve patrons’ items, and to check inventory
- Manage cash register at biannual fundraiser
FASHIONISTA CLOTHING STORE, Simsbury, CT
Sales Associate, November 2016-July 2017
- Greeted dozens of customers daily at front door, offering assistance with purchases
- Answered questions regarding Fashionista Credit Card, weekly sales, and return policies
- Managed front desk, assisting customers with purchases, exchanges, and item holding
- Received award for timeliness and reliability at annual employee event
HARTFORD HIGH SCHOOL, Hartford, CT
Secretary, Hartford High School Volunteer Organization Sept. 2015 – Sept. 2016
- Responsible for organizing annual summer fundraiser and managing 10 to 15 volunteers
- Managed organization’s annual $10,000 budget
Associate of Arts in Marketing (2018); GPA 3.5
ABC Community College, Hartford, CT