A Work-at-Home Company Profile
Based in Denver, CO, SYKES Home (formerly Alpine Access) provides call center outsourcing to clients using only home call center agents in the U.S. and Canada. It employs 5,000 work-at-home agents in 40 states and Canada. (Scroll down for a list of states.) It hires its call center agents as employees (not contractors) and offers benefits like a limited health care plan and 401K.
Types of Work at Home Opportunities
Most of the work-at-home jobs available at SYKES Home are for call center agents. However, there are a few corporate jobs, often training related, that are available.
Most of the positions available are full-time, but there are some part-time opportunities. All calls are inbound, and the type of positions range from customer service, video gaming specialist, healthcare support, financial services, and order support. No high-pressure sales or outbound telemarketing is required, but there is some upselling of services to inbound callers. Though there are English-only call center jobs, the company hires for bilingual customer care:
- English/French (in Canada)
Pay and Benefits
All employees are offered medical, dental and vision plans, and for those who have completed one year of service and worked 1,000 hours, a matching 401K retirement plan is an additional benefit. Pay varies but starts around $9-10/hour. Agents are paid an hourly rate for both time on and off the phone. (Not all call centers pay hourly, read more about call center pay structures.) Training is paid.
Applying to Become a SYKES Agent
The application process is entirely online. It takes 7 to 10 days.
- Check that your computer and office meet its technical requirements. Check out the typical call center technical requirements.
- Create an application account. Choose jobs that you are qualified for. You will then get step-by-step instructions on what to do next.
- You will be asked to select your availability, complete a profile, take an online course, which explores what it's like to work as a call center agent for the company, compose an application essay, and complete a skills exam. Then, if selected to move on with the process, you will complete a phone interview.
- At this point, you will or will not receive a job offer. If you are offered a position, SYKES will conduct a background, drug, and credit check for which you must pay $45.
SYKES hires in the U.S. and Canada. You do not have to be a citizen to work at SYKES in the U.S. or Canada, but you must be legally able to work in these countries. If you live in the U.S., you must live in one of these states:
- New Hampshire
- New Jersey
- New York
- North Carolina
- North Dakota
- South Carolina
- South Dakota