Teacher Resume Examples and Writing Tips
Resume Samples and Tips for Jobs in Education
When writing a resume, it is helpful to review resume examples that are related to your occupation. Your resume should reflect the latest trends in resumes for your field – including the format, as well as what you choose to include, and how you include it.
In the competitive field of education, you will want your resume to stand out, and highlight your ability to learn and grow in the current environment.
Here is a list of teacher and other education-related resume examples to use to get ideas for your own resume. The list includes resumes for early childhood education, teaching abroad, and related positions such as camp counselor and librarian.
Tips for Writing a Resume for a Teacher
Highlight your education and credentials. Teaching jobs usually require specific degrees and certifications, so be sure to highlight your education. Include an “Education” resume section towards the top of your document.
Include all relevant teaching experience. Remember to list relevant teaching experience if applicable. If you have limited teaching experience, include volunteer positions and co-curricular activities that involve teaching in some way.
List accomplishments, not duties. Rather than listing your duties for each job, include a list of your greatest accomplishments. For example, you might mention that you helped improve student test scores, or include information or quotes from your supervisor’s evaluations of your classes.
If you received an award or commendation from your school, mention this. Whenever possible, include values to numerically show your successes. For example, you might state, “Developed and implemented new math curriculum, resulting in 48% improvement in state test scores.”
Tailor each resume to the job. If you are applying for several different positions in different teaching environments, make sure that you tailor your resume to each job opening.
You will want to highlight different aspects of your experience, depending on the specific requirements of the position available. Read the job posting carefully, and make the connections between your experience and the requirements of the position very clear in your resume. One way to do this is to include keywords in your resume from the job listing. Look for important words in the job listing (including qualifications, skills, etc.) and include them in your resume to demonstrate that you are a good fit for the job.
Consider the format. You may find that different formats are more appropriate, depending on the position you are applying for (or your work history). Keep an open mind, and don’t be afraid to try a more updated look for your resume. As long as you include all the relevant information, sometimes a different look can be what makes you stand out from the rest of the applicants.
Use examples. Use these resume examples to get an idea of what information to include, how to highlight your most relevant experiences, and how to format your resume. Then you can personalize it based on your own information.
Edit, edit, edit. Be sure to thoroughly edit your resume, looking for any spelling or grammar errors.
Also make sure your formatting is consistent – for example, make sure you use the same style of bullet points throughout your resume, and the same size font for all of your section headings. Employers want professional, polished resumes.
Review a Teacher Resume Example
If you're unsure how to write your resume, take a look at the sample teacher resume below for ideas about what to include and how to structure the document. You'll also find an example of a resume written specifically for an early childhood education job.
City, State, Zip
Clifton Park High School, Clifton Park, CA
September 20XX - Present
- Developed and implemented daily and unit lesson plans for 9th grade, administered tests and evaluations, and analyzed student performance.
- Conducted group and individual reading, math, and science activities.
- Fostered a classroom environment conducive to learning and promoting excellent student/teacher interaction.
- Participated in faculty and parent conferences.
RS Denham Elementary School, Albany, CA
June 20XX - June 20XX
- Created and implemented daily and unit lesson plans for 3rd grade, administered testing, and tracked and analyzed class performance.
- Conducted group and one-on-one math, reading, and writing activities.
- Developed excellent rapport with students.
- Fostered a classroom environment conducive to learning and promoting excellent student engagement.
- Conducted parent conferences.
Jasmine Street School, Saratoga Springs, CA
- Designed and taught lessons in math, science, social studies, and reading curricula in 6th grade classroom.
- Created and implemented interdisciplinary literature study based on international theme.
Michelin College, Saratoga Springs, CA
Bachelor of Science
VOLUNTEERISM AND LEADERSHIP
Town Elementary School, Philadelphia, CA
January 20XX - Present
Tutored and mentored 2nd and 3rd graders enrolled in an after-school program.
Early Childhood Education Teacher Resume Example
The following is an example of a resume for an early childhood education position. The resume includes a resume profile, an experience section, and an education section.
Marilyn M. Arnold
4500 Ridgewood Road
Memphis, Tennessee 38116
Preschool lead teacher with ten years of daycare and preschool teaching experience. Strong organizational skills, thorough educational background, and ability to work well and communicate effectively with children, parents, colleagues, and supervisors.
La Petite Academy, Memphis, TN
- Plan activities that stimulate growth in language, social, and motor skills.
- Responsible for managing class of 16 students ages 3-4.
- Develop strategies for best utilizing assistant teacher’s skills and offer regular professional development.
- Communicate with parents on a regular basis, via annual assessments, quarterly meetings, and monthly phone conversations.
ABC Daycare, Memphis, TN
May 20XX-May 20XX
- Oversaw daily operations, managing a staff of 12 employees.
- Responsibilities included administrative, billing, personnel issues, policies and procedures, payroll, and quarterly tax preparation and submission.
- Implemented curriculum plans for three class levels.
- Maintained ongoing communication with parents regarding children’s activities, behavior, and development, and responded to all parents’ concerns as they arise.
- Maintained records and reports on each child.
Overnight Stocking/Sales Associate/ Department Manager
Wal-Mart, Memphis, TN
April 19XX-January 20XX
- Responsible for customer service, via in-person management and dealing with questions and concerns via phone.
- Ordered merchandise and managed inventory.
- Developed curriculum for staff professional development days, and led training for in-store interns.
MA in Elementary Education, University of Memphis
Expected graduate date May 20XX
BA in English, Southwest Tennessee Community College
Associate of Science Degree, Southwest Tennessee Community College
Grade Point Average 4.0
Earned 80% of tuition by working while carrying a full course load
Nursing Assistant Certification
More Teaching / Education Resume Examples
- Admissions Counselor
- Athletic Director
- Camp Counselor
- Guidance Counselor
- Special Education Teacher
- Speech Pathologist
- Teaching Abroad / International Education
Cover Letter Examples for Teachers
Review these examples of cover letters for teachers to get ideas for your own cover letters.