Tips for Using the Indeed Job Search App
On Indeed.com, you can find over 16 million jobs in over 60 countries and in 28 languages. Indeed's Job Search app makes these opportunities accessible with just the click of a button (or, in the case of your phone, a tap of the screen). According to Raj Mukherjee, SVP of Product at Indeed, over half of Indeed’s job searches happen on mobile; their app now allows these job seekers to take their job search with them, making mobile job searching fast, efficient, and easy.
Get the Indeed Job Search App
The Indeed Job Search app is free and available for iPhone in the iTunes Store and for Android on Google Play. It’s a great tool to have in your job search tool belt. "Our mission is to help people get jobs and our mobile app is designed to make it quick and easy for people to find and apply for their next great job," says Mukherjee. "Whether that’s new college graduates or people who have been in the workforce for many years, our mobile app allows you to apply with just one click, no matter where you are.”
Best App Features for Job Seekers
Perhaps the best part of Indeed’s Search feature is how fast-loading it is, because when it comes to job searching, we definitely don’t have time to waste. The app uses your device’s GPS (be sure to enable access when you open the app) to find job openings in cities near you. You can also view new jobs added since your last search, which is especially useful so you don’t end up scrolling through positions you’ve already seen. The app also makes it easy to search by job title, company, and location as well as to sort full-time, part-time, freelance, and internship jobs.
Indeed’s Apply feature makes it easy to select and apply to jobs. You can store your resume in the app and then customize a message before applying. If you need more time to craft that cover letter, you can save the job and the app will send you a reminder to apply later.
Indeed’s iPhone app has a bunch of other cool features that will be useful for job seekers. Here are some favorites:
- The app allows you to keep track of jobs you’ve applied to, are interviewing for, were offered, or were hired for. This is a really helpful tool if you’re applying to multiple jobs.
- You can build your resume right on the app. For first-time job seekers who may need guidance in creating a resume, this tool streamlines the process as it tells you exactly what information you need to fill out.
- You can enable alerts, so you’re notified when new jobs are added.
- “Recent searches” show the previous positions you searched for and make it easy to search again with a single click.
- The “Recommended jobs” module queries Indeed’s massive database and shows you jobs that would be a great match for you. This can save a lot of time when you’re searching for a job.
- Is there a specific company you’ve always dreamed of working for? If they’re on Indeed, you can follow them to get updates about when they’re hiring. You can also read company reviews on the platform.
How to Use the App
Here’s a quick overview of how to use the app’s core features.
- Download the app from the iTunes Store or, if you’re an Android user, from Google Play.
- Enable push notifications: If you want to receive notifications from Indeed, such as reminders to apply to jobs you’ve saved or alerts that new jobs have been added, you’ll need your notifications on.
- Create account: You can also browse jobs without an account, but creating an account allows you to store your resume. All you need to create an account is an email address and password. You can also sign up using your Google Account or Facebook (Indeed keeps all personal information private from employers).
- Add your resume: On the “Home” screen, navigate to “My Resume.” From there you can either build a resume on Indeed, or upload a resume. If you build a resume on Indeed, their data shows that filling out two or more work experiences will double your chances of being contacted by an employer, so be sure to do so. In general, it’s recommended to build your resume on the platform so it can be searched for keywords.
- Search for a job: Click the compass icon next to the “Where” field and the app will automatically pull in the city you’re currently in. You will need to grant Indeed access to your current location, which you’ll be able to do via a pop-up.
- Browse jobs: You can browse jobs and press the heart icon to save them. You can then access the “My Jobs” page from the home screen to view all of the jobs you’ve saved. Most jobs are available to apply to directly from your phone—you’ll see an orange line of text saying, “Apply from your phone” if so.
Here are a few tips and tricks for when you’re using the app. Although the app runs pretty quickly on data, it’s even faster when you’re using WiFi, so keep your WiFi turned on if possible.
Second, applications submitted without a cover letter will likely be ignored. You can upload a supporting document and also customize a personalized message. If you’re entering a personalized message, it’s a good practice to type this somewhere on your phone that can save it (e.g., compose an email to yourself) and then copy and paste it into the app. That way there’s no risk of losing your work.
Finally, it’s easy to apply to a ton of jobs with this app—but remember that quantity doesn’t always equal quality. Once you’ve submitted your applications, do some research to see if you know anyone who works at the company (searching your LinkedIn connections is a good start) that might be able to “flag” your resume to be sure it gets seen.