If you have decided to resign from your job, it is customary to provide your employer with two weeks' notice.
Whatever your reason for leaving, two weeks gives an employer enough time to come up with plans to cover your absence. For example, an employer might need time to hire someone to fill the position or need time to reassign your tasks to other employees.
When to Give Two Weeks' Notice
In some circumstances, you may not be able to provide two weeks' notice or even any notice at all. In others, your employer may not want you to stay for the notice period.
Company policies differ, and some employers may request that you leave immediately upon receiving your resignation.
Most, however, will appreciate you staying on for a couple of weeks to help with the transition. This can be beneficial to you as well, offering you the opportunity to demonstrate your professionalism and to leave the job on a positive note.
Read below for tips on how to write a resignation letter in which you provide your employer with two weeks' notice. Then read sample resignation letters and a sample resignation email. Use these samples as templates for your own resignation letter.
Tips for Writing a Resignation Letter With Two Weeks' Notice
- Use Business Letter Format: Use a business letter format so that your letter looks professional. At the top of your letter, include your contact information, the date, and your employer’s contact information.
- State the Date: The most important thing you need to say in your letter is when you will be resigning. You can either state the specific date you will leave, or say that you are leaving two weeks from the current date.
- Keep It Short: You don't need to include any more information than the fact you are leaving and when your last day of work will be.
- Consider Saying Thank You: If you wish, you can also include a thank you for the opportunity provided and the experience you gained while working with the company.
- Be Positive: As with all resignation letters, brevity is advantageous, and it's best to avoid mentioning anything negative about your employer or co-workers. Maintain professionalism with everyone, always. You never know whose path may cross yours in the future.
- Offer to Help: Consider offering to help with the transition process. You might offer something specific—such as helping to train a new employee—or you can just offer your general help.
- Send the Letter to the Right People: Send this letter to both your manager and your human resources (HR) department so that HR has a copy on file.
- Consider Sending a Resignation Email: You can also send a resignation email message rather than a formal letter. The content of the email will be similar to a letter. In the subject line of the email, include your name and the word “resignation.”
- Read Letter Samples: To help you write your own letter, check out a few resignation letter samples or resignation email samples, depending on how you plan to send your message. Edit the samples to fit your personal circumstances.
Sample Resignation Letters and Emails
Resignation Letter Template
This is a resignation letter example with two weeks' notice. Download the resignation letter template (compatible with Google Docs and Word) or see below for more examples.
Resignation Letter Samples
Two Weeks Notice Resignation Letter Sample #1
1662 Sundial Road
Centerport, NY 11211
April 15, 2022
112 Jericho Turnpike
Huntington, NY 11432
Dear Mr. Killington,
I am writing to announce my resignation from ABC Company, effective two weeks from this date. My last day will be April 29, 2022.
This was not an easy decision to make. The past ten years have been very rewarding. I've enjoyed working for you and managing a very successful team dedicated to a quality product delivered on
Thank you for the opportunities for growth that you have provided me. I wish you and the company all the best. If I can be of any help during the transition, please don't hesitate to ask.
Signature (hard copy letter)
Two Weeks Notice Resignation Letter Sample #2
212 22nd St.
Redington Shores, FL 33452
August 12, 2022
Tampa, FL 32102
Dear Ms. Jones,
I am writing to notify you of my resignation from my position as analyst at Company Name. My last day will be August 26, 2022.
Please let me know how I can be of service during my final two weeks at the company. I am more than happy to train an incoming employee, or assist with the transition in any other way.
Thank you for all of the professional opportunities you have provided me over the past three years. I wish you and the company all the best.
Signature (hard copy letter)
Resignation Email Sample
Two Weeks Notice Resignation Email Sample
Subject: Resignation – Carey Nyguen
Dear Mr. Kimball,
Please accept this as my formal notice of resignation from XYZ Company. My last day will be September 14, 2022, two weeks from today.
I appreciate your support during my tenure here, and I take with me the valuable experiences I have gained over the last six years. It has been a pleasure working with you and the team.
Please let me know how I can help during this transition. I wish you all the best as the company continues to grow.
More Resignation Letter Examples
Review more examples of the best resignation letters and email messages for a variety of circumstances. There are templates and samples that will work for whenever you need to quit a job.