West Point Majors and Fields of Study
The United States Military Academy (West Point) offers more than 40 academic majors. While they will all complete a degree as a Bachelor of Science, the fields of study are not limited to technical areas of knowledge. West Point wants graduates to have a well-rounded education in the humanities as well as science and technology. They want to stimulate critical thinking and problem-solving.
West Point says that they strive to bring together a diversity of students, so cadets learn from each other as well as from the instructors. The learning experience is often team-based. Seniors also engage in a Senior Capstone experience to solve real-world problems and present their findings. Below are degrees you can earn.
Academic Majors at the United States Military Academy (West Point)
Cadets choose their major in the fall term of their sophomore year. Until the end of their sophomore year, all cadets are taking the same basic core classes. These 31 courses give a balanced education in the arts, sciences, and the humanities.
Majors in the Social Sciences Department
- Comparative Politics Major Program
- Economics Major Program: Can also pursue a major with honors.
- International Relations Programs: Can also pursue a major with honors.
English and Philosophy Department
- Art, Philosophy and Literature Major: The ideal is from Achilles, "To be a speaker of words and a doer of deeds."
Majors in the Department of Chemistry and Life Sciences
- Chemical Engineering Major Program
- Chemistry: This major offers an American Chemical Society Certified Degree Program in addition to the baseline major.
- Life Science Major Program
Majors in the Department of Civil and Mechanical Engineering
- Civil Engineering Major
- Mechanical Engineering Major
Majors in the Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science
- Computer Science Major Program
- Electrical Engineering Major Program
- Information Technology Major Program: an additional degree is offered for Bachelor of Science in Electronic and Information Technology Systems.
Majors in the Department of Foreign Languages
Majors in the Department of Geography and Environmental Engineering
- Environmental Engineering
- Environmental Geography
- Environmental Science
- Geospatial Information Science Major
- Human Geography
Major in the Department of History
Major in the Department of Law
Majors in the Department of Mathematical Sciences
- Mathematical Science
- Operations Research
- Minors in Applied Statistics and Network Science
Majors in the Department of Physics and Nuclear Engineering
- Advanced Physics
- Nuclear Engineering
- Interdisciplinary Science
Majors in the Department of Systems Engineering
- Engineering Management
- Systems Engineering
- Operations Research Studies Major
Majors in the Department of Behavioral Sciences and Leadership
- Applied General Psychology
- Organizational Psychology and Leadership
- Engineering Psychology
- Leader Development Science
Department of Physical Education
Department of Military Instruction
- Defense and Strategic Studies
The United States Military Academy Accreditation
The United States Military Academy at West Point has been accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education since 1949. It is reaccredited every 10 years.
Programs in Civil Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Engineering Management, Environmental Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Systems Engineering, and Nuclear Engineering are accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of ABET.