What Are You Looking For In Your Next Job?
One of the most common interview questions you may encounter is, “What you are looking for in your next job?” The interviewer wants to know whether your goals are a match for the company. Your answer also allows an interviewer to see whether your skills and interests make you a good candidate for the job at hand.
To answer this question successfully, consider your goals as they relate to the position. While your answer should always be honest, it should also show how you will add value to the company.
Read below for tips on how to answer, as well as examples of strong sample answers.
Review the Job Listing
When preparing for an interview, review the requirements of the job listing. Then, make a list of your own interests and goals, making sure to take note of any overlap.
Seeing the commonalities between the two lists will help you craft a strong response to this question. Your answer should emphasize your goals and interests as they relate to the job. In fact, your response to this question will be slightly different for every place where you interview, because it will be tailored to that specific job opening.
Frame your answer so that it shows how you will benefit the company. For example, you might explain that you want to work for a company that encourages teamwork and team projects because you thrive in a team environment. It will show the interviewer that you will do well in the company’s team-driven culture.
Even though you want to show how you are a good fit for the company, you should not be dishonest. Always keep your answer truthful, since employers can tell when an answer is inauthentic. Focus on real answers that also show that you will do well on the job at hand.
Finally, avoid making salary and benefits the focus of your answer. Responding that way puts the focus on your desires, instead of the company's.
Examples of the Best Answers
- I'm looking for a position where I can have the opportunity to use my written communication skills. As a marketing assistant at your company, I would be able to apply my years of experience as a successful grant writer and would be able to write the kinds of materials I most enjoy working on.
- I am hoping for a job that will allow me the chance to boost sales at an already successful company, such as your own. I am looking for the opportunity to use the skills that I have developed during my years in marketing to engage your sales force and increase productivity and international sales.
- I am excited by the opportunity to work with an innovative, successful company such as your own. I look forward to utilizing the experience I have in technology to help streamline a company’s products for even more successful implementation.
- In my next job, I would like to be able to have a positive impact on my patients and to be able to help them lead a more functional and healthy lifestyle. Your facility offers patients a total recovery program, and I feel that my experience, education, and specialization would make this a good fit for me.
- I look forward to working for a company whose mission I firmly believe in, such as your own. I look for jobs about which I am passionate because this allows me to be extremely productive and creative.