How to Answer Interview Questions About Availability
One question you might be asked during a job interview is, "What days/hours are you available to work?" Employers often ask this because they want to know how flexible you are.
If you are applying for a shift job, or a part-time job, an employer might ask this question because they want to see if you would be willing to work less popular days and hours (like nights and weekends).
If you are applying for a full-time job, the employer might want to know if you are willing to work hours and days outside of a typical workweek.
When answering this question, you want to be honest about your availability, but also emphasize that you are flexible and willing to go above and beyond when needed.
How to Answer
No matter what kind of job you apply for, be honest about any commitments that are absolutely not flexible. For example, if you have to take your children to work in the morning, or if you cannot work evenings because you take a night class, say so. Do not promise you will be available if you know you will be unavailable.
If you are applying for a full-time job, you want to emphasize that you are willing and able to put in a full workweek and that you can work occasional other hours as needed. For example, if you know your job will require occasional weekend work, explain that you will be flexible about other weekend plans to come in for work.
If you are applying for a part-time job, or a shift job, you will want to emphasize your flexibility even more. If there are certain days or hours you simply cannot work, say so. However, emphasize that you are open and flexible about any other days or hours they may need. It will show the employer that you will make your work a priority.
Sample Answers for a Part-Time Job or Shift Job
- I'm available during school hours while my children are at school, 9 am - 3 pm, Monday through Friday. I am also available most weekends, especially during the day.
- As a college student, I have classes Tuesday and Thursday until 4 pm and a lab that meets every other Wednesday from 5 pm to 7 pm, but I'm flexible about working any other hours you have available. It includes nights and weekends.
- I'm flexible and available just about any time you need me to work. I am simply looking forward to joining the team and helping whenever I am most needed.
- My schedule is flexible, so I am able to take almost any shift you need for me to take. I am actually most available for evening shifts and weekend shifts. I know those are commonly less popular shifts, so I am happy to cover those whenever you may need me.
Sample Answers for a Full-Time Job
- I am available to work Mondays through Fridays, and am very flexible about the start and end time on those days.
- I know that along with a 9 - 5 schedule Mondays through Fridays, this job also requires some responsibilities on occasional nights and weekends. I am more than willing to make those occasional additional hours work with my schedule.
- I really value my weekend time with my family. Because of that, I am more than willing to go above and beyond during the work week - I can come to work early in the mornings and stay late in the evenings.
More Job Interview Questions and Answers
Interview Questions and Answers
Have you just been invited by a potential employer for a job interview? Prepare for this by reviewing these typical job interview questions and sample answers.
Interview Questions to Ask
Job interviews are as much an opportunity for you to interview an employer as they are for the employer to evaluate you. Here are some key questions that candidates for employment should ask their interviewer.
Part Time Interview Questions and Answers
Typical part-time job interview questions and sample answers you can use to prepare for a part-time job interview.