What is the Average Hours Per Week Worked in the US?
How many hours a week do Americans work? How does this change based on factors like age, gender, and race?
The Bureau of Labor Statistics tracks how many hours per week the average American works and releases that information as part of the monthly Employment Situation Summary. According to the most recent data (July 2018), Americans worked an average of 34.5 hours per week. The hours worked, on average, vary according to gender, age, marital status, race, location, type of job, and education level.
Curious how your workweek stacks up against that of your fellow Americans? Here, we break down the average hours worked in the United States, based on these various factors, as well as an overview of daily hours worked, based on 2017 annual data summary from the Bureau of Labor Statistics.
Average Hours per Week Worked (US)
Age 16 years and older: 38.6
Age 16-19: 23.8
Age 20-24: 34.5
Age 25-54: 40.3
55 and Over: 37.8
Men worked an average of 40.8 hours per week in paid employment. Woman worked an average of 36.2 hours per week.
Married men worked 4.6 hours more per week than men who were never married. Married women worked 1.6 hours more than women who were never married.
White: 38.7 hours per week
African American: 38.4 hours per week
Asian American: 38.8 hours per week
Hispanic and Latino: 38.0 hours per week
Average Hours per Day Worked (US)
The average hours Americans work per day vary based on factors like weekend vs. weekday, working from home vs. working in an office, and self-employed vs. salaried employee. Factors like gender and education also influence the numbers.
Our data is based on data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics. These statistics refer to 2017 numbers released in June of 2018.
Average Hours per Day Worked (US)
- On days worked, employees average 7.69 hours a day
- Weekdays average 8.06 hours
- Weekend days average 5.53 hours
Hours by Gender
- On days worked, employed men worked an average of 49 minutes more than employed women -- this difference may be on account of women’s higher instance of part-time work (there were almost twice as many part-time female employees as there were part-time male employees).
- However, for full-time workers, men still worked longer than women, working 8.4 hours compared to 7.9 hours for women.
- 33% of wage/salaried employed people worked for at least some time on weekends, as opposed to 82% on weekdays.
- Employed people worked an average of 5.53 hours on a weekend day.
- Self-employed workers were more likely to work on weekends than salaried employees, at 39.5% compared to 30.1%.
- People holding multiple jobs were more likely to work on weekends (57%) than people with only one job (30.3%).
Hours by Location
- On days worked, 83% of employees did some or all of their work at a workplace, while 23% did some or all of their work at home.
- Employees spend more time doing work in the workplace than at home -- they spend 8 hours working in the workplace, and 3.1 hours working at home.
- More people now work at home than they did years ago. On an average day last year, 24% of full-time workers spent at least part of their workday at home, compared with 18 percent in 2003.
Type of Employment
- People holding multiple jobs were more likely to work on an average weekday than single-job holders (92% vs. 81%). They were also nearly twice as likely to work on a weekend day (57% vs. 30%).
- Those with advanced degrees are more likely to work from home: 46% of employed people over 25 years old with an advanced degree did some work from home. Only 12% of workers with a high school diploma did some work from home.
- Workers with advanced degrees are more likely to work on an average day (73%) than those with a high school diploma (68%).
- Those with advanced degrees (bachelor’s degree and higher) work fewer hours on average than those with less than a bachelor’s degree. Those with a bachelor’s degree or higher work 7.54 hours per day, while those with some college work 7.99 hours per day. Those with a high school diploma work the most on an average day: 8.03 hours.