What to Include in a Teaching Internship Resume
When constructing a teaching internship resume, you may be overwhelmed or not know where to begin. A well-written resume that lays out your goals, academic background, accomplishments and volunteer activities is pivotal to securing an internship.
Unlike a resume for a full-time position, your internship resume can contain information that normally isn't included. For instance, it's completely appropriate and recommended to include relevant coursework or student projects; for a full-time job, that would not work for you. You can highlight your position in student clubs and other activities, including volunteer positions. If you have worked any part-time jobs with children, such as working as a daycare aid, that's relevant information that's valuable to the hiring manager.
Working in a school system, summer camp, private school or any other educational capacity such as museum educator can count as relevant experience in the field. Many students work as Resident Assistants Tutors and Assistant Teachers at their college and this too is great preparation for working with individuals in an educational setting.
As your career develops and you get one or two internships completed, you'll remove preliminary information like details on your schoolwork and clubs; these items are only until you have real work experience to highlight.
You can use the below template to begin building your own resume, personalizing it to match your needs and your experience. Try to focus on results, rather than just a list of tasks. How you helped tutor a child and helped him successfully pass exams is more compelling than just writing that you "tutored students." Focusing on the outcomes highlights your abilities and gives the hiring manager an idea of what you can accomplish as an intern for them.
Sample Teaching Internship Resume
This is an example of a resume for a teaching internship position. Download the teaching internship resume template (compatible with Google Docs and Word Online) or see below for more examples.
Sample Teaching Internship Resume (Text Only)
123 Colony Courtyard, Kingsland, NY 12345
Elementary teacher adept at math and science looking for a position at a school emphasizing STEM-oriented instruction and technology to support student growth and success.
· Adept in creating positive, engaging, and supportive learning environments for students from diverse backgrounds.
· Strong team-building and collaborative talents, partnering easily with teachers, principals, parents, and support staff to identify student needs, address issues, and promote school spirit.
· Willingly work after hours and during weekends to ensure student success.
· Proficient with both Windows and Macintosh operating systems and Microsoft’s Office Suite.
· Fluent in written and spoken Spanish; well-versed in use of SmartBoard and other technologies.
PS 104, New York, N.Y.
Student Teacher, Fall 2017
Taught fifth-grade math and science.
• Wrote and followed lesson plans.
• Incorporated special education students with inclusion setting.
MAYS CHARTER SCHOOL, New York, N.Y.
Teacher Assistant, Summer 2017
Collaborated with teacher on lesson plans for fourth-grade math students in a summer school program.
• Developed instructive booklet to streamline student teacher manual.
• Created small-group lessons to encourage active student participation.
Bachelor of Science in Elementary Education (2018); GPA 3.62
Semester Abroad, London, England, Spring 2017
Columbia University, New York, N.Y.
- Periclean Honor Society, President’s Day Award