See a Sample of a Superior Resume
When an employer receives 100 - 200 resumes in response to a job posting, the resume that catches your eye has to stand out from the crowd. This sample resume sets standard employers to need to seek and candidates need to emulate.
What Makes This Sample Resume So Great
- This sample resume started out with a list of characteristics, traits, competencies, and skills that exactly matched the requirements I had stated in my job posting. This smart candidate drew a line that connected his skills and my needs. The less work the employer has to do the better. This candidate understands that.
- The candidate is applying for an Operations Management job, so note that the initial skills and experience highlights section emphasizes Operations Management. This allows you to quickly understand the qualifications of the candidate for your position.
- The job history is clearly laid out and I had no questions about the candidate's career progression. There are no gaps in employment. The only question that the resume surfaced is why the candidate is seeking a full-time position after consulting for a few years.
- The business of each company that employed the candidate is described so that the potential employer can see the relationship to their business.
- The candidate understands the power of the show, not tell. In each of his positions, he demonstrates the bottom line impact of his work. He didn't just manage a plant. He "streamlined inventories by 50% and increased inventory turnover by 145%." He "improved customer delivery performance from 78% to 96% while reducing lead times by 80%."
- The "Professional Achievements" section of the resume stood out, not just because the candidate has achieved success in his career, but because the achievements so closely mirror his stated career goals and my needs as an employer.
- My reaction to the "Education / Professional Development" section of the resume was the same. The candidate's educational investments echo his career choices.
Sample Resume Conclusions
Part of the power of this sample resume is that it highlights the smart career choices of the candidate. He served in progressively more challenging positions. He kept track of the measurable impacts of his performance on company goals. He obtained the necessary degrees to progress in his field. And, he attended classes, seminars, and advanced training in the subjects in which he claims expertise.
Additionally, at this point in his career, he seeks opportunities to share his expertise and attains this goal through both writing and speaking. He is looking for employment that appears congruent with the education, professional contributions, and experience that the states on the sample resume.
The sample resume's only weaknesses are that the candidate fails to mention professional association affiliations or philanthropic contributions. He also tells the potential employer nothing personal about himself. The employee-seeking employer doesn't want to know that he has three children, but his work as a March of Dimes team leader or his hobby of golf lends personality to the candidate's application.
This resume rocks for these reasons. As an employer or as a job seeker, these sample resume comments will help you either review or craft a resume that results in a superior candidate. This resume is presented as a superior sample resume with the permission of its owner.
Example of a Superior Resume
This is an example of a superior resume. Download the superior resume template (compatible with Google Docs and Word Online) or see below for more examples.
Example of a Superior Resume (Text Only)
999 Main Street, New York 10003
Results-oriented, hands-on individual with more than 10 years of progressive manufacturing management experience. Management style strongly emphasizes teamwork, creativity, and empowering people.
· Lean manufacturing and cellular manufacturing implementations
· Continuous improvement processes
· Supplier and customer Kanban systems
· Kaizen events
· 5-S implementation
· Supplier agreements
· Gain-sharing programs
XYZ Corporation, Jackson, Mich.
Operations and Cost Management Consultant, 2002–Present
Provide management and consulting services to clients in the areas of lean manufacturing, project and program management, kaizen, performance metrics, plant layouts, supplier relationships, supplier agreements, make versus buy decisions, cost modeling, and gainsharing programs.
ABC Inc., Plymouth, Mich.
Senior Cost Accountant, 1993–2002
Cost Accountant, 1988-1993
Managed the cost accounting department, including hiring, training, and scheduling of work.
Improved efficiencies through the implementation of standardized work and a cost control systems.
Bachelor of Business Administration (1988); GPA 3.9
University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Mich.
Dean’s List; Graduated Summa Cum Laude