See a Sample of a Superior Resume
When an employer receives 100 - 200 resumes in response to a job posting, the resume that catches your eye has to stand out from the crowd. This sample resume sets standard employers to need to seek and candidates need to emulate.
What Makes This Sample Resume So Great
- This sample resume started out with a list of characteristics, traits, competencies, and skills that exactly matched the requirements I had stated in my job posting. This smart candidate drew a line that connected his skills and my needs. The less work the employer has to do the better. This candidate understands that.
- The candidate is applying for an Operations Management job, so note that the initial skills and experience highlights section emphasizes Operations Management. This allows you to quickly understand the qualifications of the candidate for your position.
- The job history is clearly laid out and I had no questions about the candidate's career progression. There are no gaps in employment. The only question that the resume surfaced is why the candidate is seeking a full-time position after consulting for a few years.
- The business of each company that employed the candidate is described so that the potential employer can see the relationship to their business.
- The candidate understands the power of the show, not tell. In each of his positions, he demonstrates the bottom line impact of his work. He didn't just manage a plant. He "streamlined inventories by 50% and increased inventory turnover by 145%." He "improved customer delivery performance from 78% to 96% while reducing lead times by 80%."
- The "Professional Achievements" section of the resume stood out, not just because the candidate has achieved success in his career, but because the achievements so closely mirror his stated career goals and my needs as an employer.
- My reaction to the "Education / Professional Development" section of the resume was the same. The candidate's educational investments echo his career choices.
Sample Resume Conclusions
Part of the power of this sample resume is that it highlights the smart career choices of the candidate. He served in progressively more challenging positions. He kept track of the measurable impacts of his performance on company goals. He obtained the necessary degrees to progress in his field. And, he attended classes, seminars, and advanced training in the subjects in which he claims expertise.
Additionally, at this point in his career, he seeks opportunities to share his expertise and attains this goal through both writing and speaking. He is looking for employment that appears congruent with the education, professional contributions, and experience that the states on the sample resume.
The sample resume's only weaknesses are that the candidate fails to mention professional association affiliations or philanthropic contributions. He also tells the potential employer nothing personal about himself. The employee-seeking employer doesn't want to know that he has three children, but his work as a March of Dimes team leader or his hobby of golf lends personality to the candidate's application.
This resume rocks for these reasons. As an employer or as a job seeker, these sample resume comments will help you either review or craft a resume that results in a superior candidate.
This resume is presented as a superior sample resume with the permission of its owner.
Candidate Address, City, State, Zip Code
Phone: (000) 000-0000 Cell: (000) 000-0000
A results-oriented, hands-on individual with more than ten years of progressive manufacturing management experience. Management style strongly emphasizes teamwork, creativity, and empowering people. Experienced in:
- Lean Manufacturing Implementations
- Cellular Manufacturing Implementations
- Continuous Improvement Processes
- Supplier and Customer Kanban Systems
- Kaizen Events
- 5-S Implementation
- Make vs. Buy Decisions
- Supplier Agreements
- Gain Sharing Programs
- Developing Performance Evaluation Systems
- Team Building
- Mentoring / Coaching
Operations and Cost Management Consultant (2002–Present)
Provide management and consulting services to clients in the areas of lean manufacturing, project and program management, kaizen, performance metrics, plant layouts, supplier relationships, supplier agreements, make versus buy decisions, cost modeling, and gainsharing programs.
Corporation, City, State (1988–2002)
(Leading filtration, separation and purification company with over $1.5 billion in revenues.)
Purchase for Resale Business Unit Manager (2002)
Responsible for the identification, development, validation and ongoing success of final assembly services provided on company products and products purchased and resold under the company’s name.
- Developed a local supplier to eliminate quality and delivery issues resulting in over $200,000 in savings during the first 7 months.
- Performed a Make vs. Buy analysis on an existing product line resulting in the product line being brought in-house providing greater manufacturing flexibility and $150,000 in savings.
- Developed a strategy to create preferred supplier partnerships for outside services with industry leaders to consolidate suppliers and open the door to co-marketing and selling agreements.
- Managed a program to transfer company owned plastic injection mold tools to a preferred supplier resulting in improved quality and $700,000 in annual savings.
Senior Director, Operations, Medical Device Plant (1998–2002)
Plant Manager, Process Plant (1996–1998)
Senior Manufacturing Manager, Process Plant (1993–1996)
Held increasingly responsible positions as a result of demonstrating a solid track record for managing multiple functional areas and delivering results for the company through the manufacturing of OEM medical and laboratory devices in ISO 9001, EN 46000, FDA compliant clean room facilities.
- Accountability for profit, loss, and management for all departments responsible for complete fulfillment of customer orders, including Production, Engineering, Quality, Planning and Scheduling, Purchasing, Machine Shop, Warehousing, and Customer Service.
- Managed a direct staff of 8 with responsibility for 180 employees across 3 shifts.
- Implemented lean manufacturing, Toyota Production System, throughout a $25 million process plant and a $30 million medical device plant.
- Transformed the production methodology from a push system to a pull system utilizing cellular manufacturing and implemented Kanban inventory systems with suppliers and customers resulting in:
--Streamlined inventories by 50% and increased inventory turnover by 145%.
--Improved customer delivery performance from 78% to 96% while reducing lead times by 80%.
--Reduced scrap and waste by 26% through a 5-step problem-solving process focused on the key variables identified by a Pareto analysis of root causes.
--Accelerated plant responsiveness by reducing complex setups by 74% through value stream mapping.
--Leveraged existing plant floor space and equipment through Lean initiatives allowing a 50% increase in actual sales in addition to reclaiming 26% of floor space for new production cells.
--Cultivated and championed a continuous improvement team environment throughout the entire hourly workforce in 2 separate plants.
--Restructured the performance evaluation system and implemented a gain-sharing program to tie performance and rewards to business objectives.
Corporation, City, State (1988–1993)
Manager Cost Accounting (1990–1993)
Senior Cost Accountant (1988–1990)
Managed the Cost Accounting Department, including hiring, training, and scheduling of work.
- Improved efficiencies through the implementation of standardized work and a cost control system that was integrated to the MRP system resulting in a 50% headcount reduction in the department.
- Developed an Activity-Based Cost model for the allocation of overhead by-product, enabling products true costing to be better understood and pricing to become more competitive.
- Analyzed ROI and made recommendations on capital project requests at various investment levels.
- Prepared property tax returns for multiple taxing authorities avoiding the use of an outside service.
- Prepared and reported operational results to senior management providing enhanced decision-making.
Corporation, City, State (1987–1988)
(World’s largest manufacturer of upholstered furniture with over $2 billion in revenues.)
Staff Accountant II, Corporate Cost Accounting Department
Maintained corporate cost accounting functions. Prepared and reported operational results to senior management.
- Contributing author, Becoming Lean, Productivity Press.
- Speaker, Productivity’s Best of North America manufacturing conference.
- Published World-Class Improvements with Lean Manufacturing, in Solutions magazine.
- Featured in 5-S Training video series, Productivity Press.
- Speaker, Advanced Manufacturing Forum, Penn State University.
Education / Professional Development
Bachelor of Business Administration
Major University - City, State
Manufacturing Executive Program • Manager of Managers Program
Major University – City, State
Certified Management Accountant (CMA)
Institute of Management Accountants, Montvale, New Jersey
Strategic Planning, American Management Association
The Art and Science of Six Sigma
Value Stream Mapping
Statistical Process Control
Lean Enterprise Summit (3 years)
Continuous Performance Improvement
Managing Employee Performance and Development
Eli Goldratt Satellite Program
Masco Tech Grand Kaizen Workshop
Fundamentals of Injection Molding, SME
Activity Based Costing and Management